29 November 2016

Haiku Tuesday: Creative Writing Prompts

Through some grades in school, we had to do daily journal writing. I had a love/hate relationship with prompts. I wanted to write whatever I wanted, but I often found myself enjoying the prompt halfway through the writing.

A while back, I was looking for ideas for my mom's website, and found "Creative Writing Now." Reading some articles from the site helped remind me that you can write things just for fun or to challenge yourself. Sometimes I forget that it's okay to do something that's not entirely productive.

I thought of that site today because I was thinking about how un-inspiring my haiku have been. I remembered that they don't have to be good. I like writing them. I also remembered Creative Writing Now's list of poetry prompts and decided I'd try to haiku a few.

I like most of the prompts but decided to go with "2. A particular color." I remember my first winter on the mountain. The ice, the fog, the gray & white.. I didn't realize how much I love green until I spotted green through parting fog.

I love no color
more than when glimpsing spring's green
amidst winter's drear


No comments:

Post a Comment