15 November 2016

Haiku Tuesday: Cypress Knees

I have a fondness for cypress trees. They aren't my all time favorite tree, but they are definitely in the top 5. For me, they are part of home. They are the tree equivalent of Emeril Lagasse's "kicking it up a notch," taking "just a lake" and making it an adventure. They feel prehistoric and can give character

to any body of water, especially when they have their buddy, Spanish moss, hanging out in the limbs.

Friendship Garden's Tea House
When I visited Phoenix, I went to a bonsai exhibit at the Japanese Friendship Garden. The exhibit was great, and I really enjoyed my trip to the garden.
A few of the bonsai on display were different kinds of cypress trees. I asked one of the gentlemen if the bonsai version ever grew knees. He didn't know what I was talking about. We finally understood one another, and he said he'd never seen one with knees other than in pictures.  I had never really thought about it and had taken for granted that cypress trees were the same everywhere. When I thought it more, I realized I had seen some growing around Fayetteville that didn't have knees.

When I got home, I researched it. Growing up, I had always thought cypress knees were to help the tree get air. I never questioned that and never really thought about it. When I researched it, I found that a study was conducted measuring the air exchange in air only around the knees. It was minimal. No evidence has been found that the knees help support the tree, as in the case of mango trees. The general conclusion is that cypress trees are a mystery. I'm sure there are many more studies, and I intend to read through some more.

Yesterday, Boudreaux and I walked down to the lake to catch the last bit of sunset. There's a neat spot behind the campground across the road from my house where you can walk to the edge of the water. I like to walk down there when there aren't any campers (or mosquitoes!). I took a couple of pictures and started thinking about today's haiku on the walk back to the house.


Knees that can never
bend but stretch from below for
mystery alone

Why do you think cypress trees have knees?

No comments:

Post a Comment