25 February 2011

My Pineapple Needed a New Home!

Sometime last spring, I started growing a pineapple. I've since learned that I did it wrong, but the plant doesn't seem to mind. It seems pretty happy.
Happy Pineapple(Not under the sea)!


In fact, it seems so happy and healthy, that it has outgrown its current pot. The tips on a couple of leaves have began to turn yellow, and roots were coming out of the bottom of the pot.
 
I've read from several sources that say pineapple plants love to have plenty of room. They can also grow to be fairly large plants. So I bought it a new home. It looks perfect, and it was only $10 at the Dollar General store in Paris.

 I thought it'd be hard to show the sizes without a good frame of reference, so I put the plant and old pot inside the new pot.
 To re pot it, first I punched out the holes in the new pot, like the directions on the bottom say to do. I used my handy dandy blue screwdriver.
   
I had some potting soil left over from when Mom was here and planted some lettuce for me (Yep, she's awesome. I'll post some pictures of my lettuce later.) I added the potting soil to the new pot, but I underestimated how big it really was. I had a few plants before I moved that didn't like the new location. I used the soil left in those pots also.
 

Once I had enough potting soil in the new container, I moved my pineapple plant to its new home.Boy, it was really in need of it. 
The roots were pretty crowded! I'm hoping that in the new pot, spring will bring quite a bit of new growth. My reading has suggested that it takes about two and a half years to get a new pineapple. It'll make some baby plants, too. I'm looking forward to that. But, for now, it is just happy in its new pot!



If it does anything new or interesting, I'll be sure to share. But before that, I'll be sharing the herb garden I will be planting soon!

Happier Pineapple (still not under the Sea!)

2 comments:

  1. How is your pineapple coming along? And your herbs? I have a black thumb. I've always wanted to keep my plants alive (I swear I have good intentions!), but it never fails that eventually they die. I'll drag out their deaths for years while they look pathetic, but nonetheless, they will all bite the dust eventually. *sigh* Oh well. Maybe I'll try again sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never got an alert that someone had commented! Oh well. It's kind of funny that I saw this today because today, I came home from work and my pineapple, it's pot, and the contents were scattered all over the back yard where my dog had freaked out on it.
    Until then, it was doing really well. It actually enjoyed the drought.

    ReplyDelete